Eastman Rosewood ?????
East Indian Rosewood can look very different depending on the tree and location it came from.
From dark purple black to light coffee with black streaks to just plain looking brown.
Almost all the EIR used for guitar sets is very well quartersawn.
A lot if the EIR is from trees planted to shade tea plantations. EIR from wild forest grown trees is very very rare now.
And the logs are getting much smaller at the auctions. (Look for four piece backs soon)
All EIR from India is sawn in country.
There are other source countries but they don’t have much output.
Madagascar rosewood is almost always flat sawn as the trees are very small.
There are two species and both tend to be very deep reddish
Although there are two species from Madagascar the one called “Bois de rose” is very uncommon now.
Many people say they don’t want to own guitars made from Madagascar rosewood because of the large amount of illegal logging that has gone on.
Given the much higher price and rarity of Madagascar rosewood I would be surprised if it was used by “mistake” on a factory guitar.
But that E20 is very reddish and dark.
I have seen EIR that looked so much like Brazilian that I had to do a water fluorescence test on some small shavings to decide if it wasn’t.
Pura Vida, AlanSam, Mitch like this post
Eastman
2016 E40d
2021 E6D-TC Alpine Swiss top
Martin
2003 D41 Special
2003 D18
1998 SPD-16R
1970 0018
Gibson
2016 J-15
1965 J-50 ADJ
Laravie
1991 Larivee C-09
Taylor
2000 810B LOTF
2000 410MACE LOTF
2000 310kce LOTF

11 Alvarez Yairi

Many many others

REHII, thanks and apologies to Ole Andy (Silly Mustache) for the thread hijack.  Smile

This guitar has such a crazy evolution with me.  It began really tight with a dark, brooding sound.  I treated it with several rounds of Tonerite, and after about two years, it quite suddenly and dramatically transformed.  Maybe the wood finally vibrated enough to free itself, but since then, it's sound rivals (and is much different than) my E40OM, which I got around the same time.  Sonically, they are two completely different beasts.

I agree that it would be a surprise for them to let one go with a Madi body, but maybe something slipped into the pile, or maybe it was one of those crazy one-offs that Eastman does... or maybe it's simply a very unique EIR.  No matter which it is... I've really grown to enjoy this guitar and look forward to a three-way shootout between my E40OM, E20OM-SB, and pre-ordered E20OM-MR-TC.
Mitch and sleigh like this post
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question About Eastman’s Indian Rosewood Tone...and Indian Rosewood in General sleigh 11 5,910 11-22-2019, 02:15 PM
Last Post: sleigh