Eastman Flame Tops
Hello,

I love Eastman guitars and have four already. When looking at the 486 flame tops and backs I noticed how consistently good they look. I've heard that they spray the flame look (pattern) on some of their violins (I have one of those too). Do they do that with their guitars too? Not that it really matters but I wonder...
I know for a fact that they do not spray flame on their maple, either in guitars or violins.
2021 Eastman AC622CE
2020 Eastman E40OM
2020 Eastman AC308CE (Limited Edition)
2020 Martin HD-28
2021 Eastman PCH3-GACE
2004 Gibson Les Paul Studio, wine red
1999 Taylor 714 custom, Cedar/Brazilian Rosewood
(03-12-2021, 06:02 PM)L-Man Wrote: I know for a fact that they do not spray flame on their maple, either in guitars or violins.

How are you sure? 

The Music Store Review: Eastman 305 Violin - YouTube

1:30 seconds in. I don't know. That's why I'm asking.
Jswr450 - I remember seeing an Eastman workshop vid which showed the natural maple flame of a cello (I think) being enhanced with a paint brush and appropriately coloured varnish (update: If you click on this link https://www.eastmanstrings.com/, then click on the 'Cello' tab from the menu and page down, you will find a picture of this). I suspect they do this for top of the range guitars too, certainly the maple ones. But to paint a flame on any instrument from scratch on a plain surface seems highly implausible to me. And I would be surprised if a retailer did any work on the varnish finish of an instrument - leaving aside possessing the requisite skill set, who would pay for this? The most I might expect would maybe a rigorous  polish, and even this seems unlikely. And finally, re the 2013 The Music Store vid above - I too would love to know what they do/did to the finish of their Eastman violins. Probably just a brand of polish they just happened to have in stock. Any chance of anyone popping down to find out ha ha!
Lukew and Pura Vida like this post
Alan
''Bad company done got me here …'' - Rev Gary Davis
(03-13-2021, 08:24 AM)AlanSam Wrote: Jswr450 - I remember seeing an Eastman workshop vid which showed the natural maple flame of a cello (I think) being enhanced with a paint brush and appropriately coloured varnish (update: If you click on this link https://www.eastmanstrings.com/, then click on the 'Cello' tab from the menu and page down, you will find a picture of this). I suspect they do this for top of the range guitars too, certainly the maple ones. But to paint a flame on any instrument from scratch on a plain surface seems highly implausible to me. And I would be surprised if a retailer did any work on the varnish finish of an instrument - leaving aside possessing the requisite skill set, who would pay for this? The most I might expect would maybe a rigorous  polish, and even this seems unlikely. And finally, re the 2013 The Music Store vid above - I too would love to know what they do/did to the finish of their Eastman violins. Probably just a brand of polish they just happened to have in stock. Any chance of anyone popping down to find out ha ha!"

Thanks for getting back to me. Whatever they are doing, it's working, and I hope they don't change anything. The Fender and Gibson shop both do all kinds or creative things to achieve the look they're going for and people pay. This is the golden age of guitars. Love my Eastmans and will have more as soon as possible. 
(03-12-2021, 07:36 PM)Jswr450 Wrote:
(03-12-2021, 06:02 PM)L-Man Wrote:  

"Act your age, not your shoe size" - Prince
(03-12-2021, 07:36 PM)Jswr450 Wrote:
(03-12-2021, 06:02 PM)L-Man Wrote: I know for a fact that they do not spray flame on their maple, either in guitars or violins.

How are you sure? 

The Music Store Review: Eastman 305 Violin - YouTube

1:30 seconds in. I don't know. That's why I'm asking.                   

I've seen many Eastman Strings instruments over the last 20 years, and have been to the Beijing workshop, and watched the talented people doing the varnishing in their studio. Painting flame in instruments is something that is contrary to the ethic of Eastman strings. It is a cheap, commercial practice only used on the worst of musical instruments.

I'm not sure what kind of secret joke the person in the video has. The model 305 violin is stained prior to varnish application, and staining does accentuate the natural figure of the wood. But that is perfectly acceptable in instrument "finishing" depending on what the end goals are. Staining will only accentuate what is already there, it won't put "flames" onto plain maple.
AlanSam likes this post
2021 Eastman AC622CE
2020 Eastman E40OM
2020 Eastman AC308CE (Limited Edition)
2020 Martin HD-28
2021 Eastman PCH3-GACE
2004 Gibson Les Paul Studio, wine red
1999 Taylor 714 custom, Cedar/Brazilian Rosewood

I see you have an assortment of Eastman's and Taylors.  I have played Taylors for years and was thinking about an Eastman Acoustic...would have to buy on-line as none in my area.  how would you compare the sound and playability between your Taylors and Eastmans?