Eastman E1D Special?
I've noticed that there is a TC version of the E1D that is referred to as the E1D Special.  The only places I've seen it mentioned are "coming soon" and require you to preorder.  Has anyone seen one of these in the wild, as in its out there and available for purchase or "now" online order?
AlanSam likes this post
https://www.eastmanguitars.com/e1d-special_new

It looks like quilted Sapele as opposed to the standard Sapele. It also has the Truetone gloss finish in lieu of the satin finish. Otherwise the specs seem similar to an Eastman dread. I thought I saw that the were released at NAMM this year. Maybe one of the dealers can update on availability.

Edit - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APoVGJm8BUs check out from about 0:45-1:30 on the video. The differences seem to be torrefied top (although I have an E1D with TC top), gloss finish and tortoise binding. They also show an OM cutaway with electronics
SasquatchLife and AlanSam like this post
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. John Lennon

Current stable - prone to frequent changes
I've never heard of Quilter Sapele before. Looking at the photo on the website , it doesn't look much different to me..... As an owner of 4 E 1/2 series guitars, I'm not sure there would be enough of a difference to make me buy one.  Hmmmm?
Eastman E1SS                                       Guild D40E
Eastman AC322ce                                  Guild D20E
                                                            Guild D2512 12 string
Eastman  E1D-CLA  (Split Bridge Sad )      G&L ASAT Special Tribute                            
Eastman E2D-BK   (Lifting Bridge  Angry )         
(06-03-2023, 04:12 AM)StrayMan Wrote: I've never heard of Quilter Sapele before. Looking at the photo on the website , it doesn't look much different to me..... As an owner of 4 E 1/2 series guitars, I'm not sure there would be enough of a difference to make me buy one.  Hmmmm?

Maybe I am using the wrong wording - quilted or figured or ?? I wonder if it is more or an aesthetic consideration as opposed to offering any tonal difference.

[Image: sapelefigured56to64side1.jpg]

I read somewhere that grading of tops is quite frequently base on a visual evaluation as well as a relative evaluation based on the pieces in hand. But the higher grade doesn't necessarily make it a better top in regards to tonal superiority. It's just - clearer, straighter grain, uniform across the width, no marks or discoloration etc.
Guzzi Fan and sleigh like this post
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. John Lennon

Current stable - prone to frequent changes
(06-03-2023, 05:31 AM)TomC Wrote:
(06-03-2023, 04:12 AM)StrayMan Wrote: I've never heard of Quilter Sapele before. Looking at the photo on the website , it doesn't look much different to me..... As an owner of 4 E 1/2 series guitars, I'm not sure there would be enough of a difference to make me buy one.  Hmmmm?

Maybe I am using the wrong wording - quilted or figured or ?? I wonder if it is more or an aesthetic consideration as opposed to offering any tonal difference.

The original link posted  took me to the Eastman site and E1D Special. The picture of the back looked like regular Sapele. 

[Image: sapelefigured56to64side1.jpg]

I read somewhere that grading of tops is quite frequently base on a visual evaluation as well as a relative evaluation based on the pieces in hand. But the higher grade doesn't necessarily make it a better top in regards to tonal superiority. It's just - clearer, straighter grain, uniform across the width, no marks or discoloration etc. 
Eastman E1SS                                       Guild D40E
Eastman AC322ce                                  Guild D20E
                                                            Guild D2512 12 string
Eastman  E1D-CLA  (Split Bridge Sad )      G&L ASAT Special Tribute                            
Eastman E2D-BK   (Lifting Bridge  Angry )         
The acoustic shoppe featured these guitars at NAMM, you can see the figured sapele better in the video I think
https://www.youtube.com/live/JKP8i5o-LEM?feature=share
They also show the more upmarket Luthier series, which look very tasty!
Guzzi Fan likes this post
The back on that first, cutaway OM is fantastic! Somehow I doubt many of the others in that range will be as impressive - but no doubt good guitars nonetheless.
Alan
''Bad company done got me here …'' - Rev Gary Davis
(06-04-2023, 07:48 AM)AlanSam Wrote: The back on that first, cutaway OM is fantastic! Somehow I doubt many of the others in that range will be as impressive - but no doubt good guitars nonetheless.

It's the same style cutaway as used by Bourgeios guitars. 

Here's a Bourgeios

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.12fret.com%2Fwp-con...ipo=images]

The Eastman

[Image: E1OMCE-SP_Orchestra__HTC1_0423.jpg?1681236366]

Good to see a few features from Bourgeois drifting down to the more affordable models.
I really like the look of that figured sapele.
SasquatchLife likes this post
Best, Steve

6 string acoustics: 2018 Eastman E10D (Red Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 Eastman E6D-TC (Alpine Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 AC522CE - GB (European Spruce/Mahogany)
Electric guitar: 1964 Guild Starfire V semi-hollow electric
Acoustic Bass: Epiphone El Capitan 5 String Acoustic/Electric Fretless (Year ?)
YouTube: sleighwriter
(06-04-2023, 01:48 PM)zoidberg Wrote:
(06-04-2023, 07:48 AM)AlanSam Wrote: The back on that first, cutaway OM is fantastic! Somehow I doubt many of the others in that range will be as impressive - but no doubt good guitars nonetheless.

It's the same style cutaway as used by Bourgeios guitars. 

Here's a Bourgeios

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.12fret.com%2Fwp-con...ipo=images]

The Eastman

[Image: E1OMCE-SP_Orchestra__HTC1_0423.jpg?1681236366]

Good to see a few features from Bourgeois drifting down to the more affordable models.         
Yes I love the wood and I also like the cut away style. As a matter of fact, from the 1980s Dana was one of the leading pioneers of the cut away OM.
StrayMan likes this post
Alan
''Bad company done got me here …'' - Rev Gary Davis

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Eastman E1D Special - Just pulled the trigger mimmo 9 657 03-31-2024, 12:32 AM
Last Post: mimmo
  Eastman E1D special. REHII 5 1,890 10-07-2023, 06:28 PM
Last Post: REHII