Eastman 905NC Information
Hello all, first post here. I have recently become enamored with Eastman Archtop guitars. I think they really fill a void in the (albeit small) market for high quality carved guitars that do not cost the same as your car.

After more or less settling on an 805CE with the floating pickup, I stumbled across a 905NC with highly flamed maple all around. It seems like a big step up from the 805 cosmetically and i love the color scheme more than what I can find with the 800 series. I prefer a non-cutaway and an archtop without a pickup if possible, though I may explore not invasive pickups at a later time. 

I went ahead and ordered it, but I can't find much information about it anywhere! I found one person who claimed there was an 805 and 905 NC as a dealer exclusive and is hard to find. Once the guitar arrives, I'll reach out to Eastman for more information, but has anyone ever come across one of these? I'm interested to know which dealer they were exclusive to (if true) and rough production numbers, features etc. I'll attach some photos here. (Also, can anyone tell me the difference between the 905 and 910 designation - same for the 800 series?) 

I have Martins and other flattops, but the only other archtop I've owned was a The Loar LH-600VS which I really liked except for the fret work and lack of hard case. I play in a 30 piece orchestra that plays all kinds of weird folky, medieval, classical type stuff and I think this sound (and presentation) will be a boone to the group dynamic. 

Many thanks for any information you might have and can share!

Best, 

Geoff

Attached Files

.jpg
File size: 95.29 KB
Downloads: 40

Welcome to the club gecarter, and magnificent looking guitar! Eastman first made their name producing violins and cellos, and as a natural progression then made a splash in the guitar scene with their archtop jazz boxes - of which many models are no longer produced. Sorry I have no specific info for you.
One day someone will write a history of Eastman guitars - I hope I'm around to read it.
Alan
''Bad company done got me here …'' - Rev Gary Davis
Hello and welcome. Beautiful guitar you have.
(09-10-2023, 02:25 PM)AlanSam Wrote: Welcome to the club gecarter, and magnificent looking guitar! Eastman first made their name producing violins and cellos, and as a natural progression then made a splash in the guitar scene with their archtop jazz boxes - of which many models are no longer produced. Sorry I have no specific info for you.
One day someone will write a history of Eastman guitars - I hope I'm around to read it.

Thank you! I look forward to hearing more from people with experience with these guitars. I also hope that Archtop guitars and the music style they derive from has a bit of a renaissance in the States here like Bluegrass has experienced. I love what Eastman is doing and I think I'll be proud finally to own one. It doesn't bother me that they are made in China as they are a Chinese company producing their own products rather than an American company which contracts production to the lowest bidder. I feel that they take pride in their process and products which should translate to pride of ownership.
AlanSam likes this post
I've no experience with that guitar, but it sure looks fine! Welcome to the EGF!
Best, Steve

6 string acoustics: 2018 Eastman E10D (Red Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 Eastman E6D-TC (Alpine Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 AC522CE - GB (European Spruce/Mahogany)
Electric guitar: 1964 Guild Starfire V semi-hollow electric
Acoustic Bass: Epiphone El Capitan 5 String Acoustic/Electric Fretless (Year ?)
YouTube: sleighwriter
(09-10-2023, 07:11 PM)gecarter Wrote:
(09-10-2023, 02:25 PM)AlanSam Wrote: Welcome to the club gecarter, and magnificent looking guitar! Eastman first made their name producing violins and cellos, and as a natural progression then made a splash in the guitar scene with their archtop jazz boxes - of which many models are no longer produced. Sorry I have no specific info for you.

Thank you! I look forward to hearing more from people with experience with these guitars. I also hope that Archtop guitars and the music style they derive from has a bit of a renaissance in the States here like Bluegrass has experienced. I love what Eastman is doing and I think I'll be proud finally to own one. It doesn't bother me that they are made in China as they are a Chinese company producing their own products rather than an American company which contracts production to the lowest bidder. I feel that they take pride in their process and products which should translate to pride of ownership.          

gecarter - My first guitar when I was 14 was a cheap laminate F sound hole arch top. I suppose it didn't sound too good but I knew no better and it did me fine. If I had it now I would fit a floating pup just for the hell of it! Arch top guitars became popular before the advent of amplification. Large (some with a 19" lower bout) and with a loud clipped sound, due in part to parallel bracing, they were employed in the rhythm section of swing bands, not as soloing instruments. Freddie Green, Count Basie's guitarist, rarely played a solo, he famously said 'You should never hear the guitar by itself. It should be part of the drums so it sounds like the drummer is playing chords—like the snare is in A or the hi-hat in D minor. Things changed a tad in the world of the arch top with the advent of amplification and the common adoption of X bracing. I own an arch top, a bit different to yours though - it's an Eastman AR371 and I love it.
And as for the reputed low quality of Chinese products - China, the people who brought you the Ming vase.
sleigh likes this post
Alan
''Bad company done got me here …'' - Rev Gary Davis
(09-11-2023, 07:27 AM)AlanSam Wrote:
(09-10-2023, 07:11 PM)gecarter Wrote:

gecarter - My first guitar when I was 14 was a cheap laminate F sound hole arch top. I suppose it didn't sound too good but I knew no better and it did me fine. If I had it now I would fit a floating pup just for the hell of it! Arch top guitars became popular before the advent of amplification. Large (some with a 19" lower bout) and with a loud clipped sound, due in part to parallel bracing, they were employed in the rhythm section of swing bands, not as soloing instruments. Freddie Green, Count Basie's guitarist, rarely played a solo, he famously said 'You should never hear the guitar by itself. It should be part of the drums so it sounds like the drummer is playing chords—like the snare is in A or the hi-hat in D minor. Things changed a tad in the world of the arch top with the advent of amplification and the common adoption of X bracing. I own an arch top, a bit different to yours though - it's an Eastman AR371 and I love it.
And as for the reputed low quality of Chinese products - China, the people who brought you the Ming vase. 
There is something very cool about big honking archtop guitars and the era that they come from. Construction has come along way since the 30's though for the most part and we are able to get really remarkable quality and sound for a lot less money now. I was tempted by the appealing lower prices of some of the Gibsons from around there, but a lot of them leave a lot to be desired sonically I hear and their construction/materials varies wildly.

That is a really interesting quote from Freddie Green which characterizes the guitar's place in that type of music. Of course, there was endless opportunity for breaking that rule and coloring outside those lines, but I'll use that idea of giving chords to the drums!

I'd like to see the return of the acoustic archtop! I really don't see any popular bands (even in the alternative/folk world) utilizing them, but I suspect more would if they got their hands on an Eastman.
AlanSam and sleigh like this post
Eastman 905nc - Blonde
Martin HD28V - 2002
Martin 000C12-16E -2021
Gibson Les Paul Standard Ebony - 2006
Fender Standard Stratocaster -2001
Hundreds of more in my past.