E1SS CLA Initial Impressions/Review
Today my Eastman E1SS-CLA arrived via UPS. Right away I noticed that the cardboard box it was shipped took a little bit of damage. Also, the Reverb Seller basically just put the guitar in the gig bag and then in a cardboard box. There was essentially no packaging or padding around the guitar, which gave me lots of anxiety as I unzipped the gigbag and went in for the initial inspection.

As you guys probably already know, but if you are going to ship a guitar without a hard case, please make sure you spend extra time packing it well. I feel fortunate that the guitar arrived the way it did.

INSPECTION:

Upon inspection I didn't see any damage from shipping. I breathed a sigh of relief.

Upon more inspection I noticed a few small fit and finish issues where it looks like Eastman really rushed this model. My guitar had old strings, buzzing at the low E, and a lot of relief in the neck.

It looks like this guitar sat in a closet mostly unplayed for a few years. The guitar is in almost new condition with no fret or play wear.

SETUP:

Within about 20 minutes I had tightened the truss rod, put on new Martin 80-20 bronze lifespan 2.0 (12-54) and tuned her up. I put a small shim in the nut slot and got the buzz out of the low E.

I can't really fault Eastman for the setup since this is a used guitar. I think the only fault in it may be that the the first fret seems a bit high and the nut slot a little low. I can get these fixes worked out pretty easily though.

AESTHETICS:

The older I get the more I am enamored with the understated beautify of a sunburst. Something about the lines on a slope shoulder dread with a 30's fire stripe pickguard really speaks to me. I think my particular model sports a particularly beautiful burst.

Normally I would prefer a plain or sunburst top, but of the CLA that I have seen this one looks exceptionally good.

I'll let you be the judge. What do you think?

TONE:

My Initial impression of the tone is that it has a lot of strong fundamentals. The highs are bright and present, like a good Eastman should be. The mids are strong and snappy. The low mids seem a bit scooped, but the bass is very very strong and has the thuddy Gibson roundness.

The tone doesn't sound tight or muted. The guitar has an immediate attack and beautiful warmness. Overall it sounds like an enhanced J45 with more brightness and presence.

I am looking forward to hearing the guitar as the strings break in. I am also interested in trying some phosphor bronze and Martin Monel strings. I will give an update on those.

Oh, and this guitar is LOUD! The open pore and Adi top are a beautiful combination. It is louder and snapper than my J45, but the guitar still sounds pretty new.

Overall, the guitar still sounds a bit brighter, louder, and more present than my 13 year old J45. I think with time the E1SS may mellow out a bit.

NECK:

I was initially skeptical of the 1 1/16 neck because I almost always prefer 1 3/4in at the nut. However, I was surprised to find that the neck is very comfortable. Eastman uses a fairly round and deep D neck carve on these guitars. The neck feels almost identical to my J45 which is 1.72.

The neck measures 1.7 inches at the nut. This is probably why it feels a bit wider than some of my guitars with 1 11/16. Overall I am very happy with the neck shape and feel. It fits my hands well, and my hands don't cramp like they do on some 1 11/16 necks.

FIT and FINISH:

The overall fit and finish of the guitar is good, but not great. There is no glue around the joints or seams. Frets are polished and very smooth. The sunburst finish is very nice. My only complaint is there is some red wood dye/finish around the soundboard and rosette.

**Look at photo 1 to see the inconsistencies around the rosette. I have never seen this in an Eastman before. It looks like the red finish dye bled over the rosette lines.

My example kinda looks like it was finished in a hurry, but for an $800 guitar I can't really complain. All the major components are there.

HARDWARE and ELECTRONICS

Tuners are in good working order and they hold tune very well. They feel much better quality than my 2020 E2OM.

The Fishman electronics and battery add a bit of weight to the guitar. The undersaddle pickup doesn't sound great on its own, but given that I am running it through the LR Baggs Voiceprint DI (IR) technology, I am able to get a good sound through a large PA system. The LR Baggs VP DI blends a recording of your guitar with the sound of the pickup. This really eliminates the quacky piezo tone. I 100% recommend the LR Baggs Voiceprint DI. It's worth the investment.

I will most likely eventually take out the Fishman and upgrade it to an K&K Pure Mini. This will lighten up the guitar and improve the plugged in tone.

OVERALL:

Overall this guitar feels a lot like my E2OM Cedar, but with a lot more volume and clarity.

After my setup the guitar now plays well with low action. The saddle still has plenty of height so it can be lowered if need be in the future. The tone is bright, snappy, and clearly of the slope shoulder DNA. The guitar has plenty of volume, bass, clarity. Fit and Finish could be a tad better, but for a guitar that will get a lot of gig time, I could care less. The hardware works great and the pickup is useable.

The real value here is the build quality and tonewoods. This easily sounds like a $1500+ guitar, but I got this one for $600. The DNA is is basically an E10SS at half the price.

This was another home run for Eastman, and a guitar I think will get a lot play time by me.

If you can find one used and you like that Eastman slope shoulder tone then I would say go for it. Smile

I give the guitar a score of 94 out of 100. For the price I don't think it can be beaten.
Pura Vida, Winfielder, Roy like this post
JPH - congratulations, your speculation turned up trumps.
Alan
''Bad company done got me here …'' - Rev Gary Davis
[Image: hrsLmR2.jpg]

[Image: UAbDIyU.jpg]

[Image: Vt8pByQ.jpg]

[Image: 4IEi84J.jpg]
Pura Vida likes this post
Congratulations. I like the finish. I really like your extensive review.
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. John Lennon

Current stable - prone to frequent changes
JPH -- Congrats on the new guitar and the extensive, detailed review.
Best, Steve

6 string acoustics: 2018 Eastman E10D (Red Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 Eastman E6D-TC (Alpine Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 AC522CE - GB (European Spruce/Mahogany)
Electric guitar: 1964 Guild Starfire V semi-hollow electric
Acoustic Bass: Epiphone El Capitan 5 String Acoustic/Electric Fretless (Year ?)
YouTube: sleighwriter
Congratulations, JP!

I really like the looks of that top.

Enjoy!

Rod
Hello again! I have now played on the guitar for about three hours now. My first observation after the setup is that this is one of the easiest and best playing Eastmans I have ever owned. It is a joy to play and comes alive effortlessly.

Secondly, I swapped out the 80/20 bronze strings for some well loved phosphor bronze (My Martin D18 got the new 80-20) and the E1SS got the worn in phosphor bronze strings.

I am now surprised just how much these strings changed the tone of the E1SS. These strings are much darker and a bit warmer, but the guitar doesn't seem to be muddy. The E1SS has a lot of clarity and punch, but the bass and mids are taking on that much more vintage Gibson thuddy/woody tone. I think this sound and Phosphor bronze strings fit this guitar better than bright and punchiness of the 80-20.
Winfielder likes this post
Great review and a wonderful guitar.  Congrats, Joshua!  Your description of the clear, but punchy sound really aligns with my experience with the open pore Sapele body and Adi top on my daughter's E1OO-LTD (obviously smaller body results in a different voice).  This combination can be a little bright, but something as simple as finding the right strings can warm it up (I'm have DR Rare lights on her guitar).

And although the fit and finish may not be as good as an E40D, it's a good reminder that these guitars are still handcrafted and at a sub-$1000 price point, which is amazing for what you get.  I love the finish on your top, and your photos captured the vintage vibe it carries with that CLA stain on the top.  I love how Eastman manages to get the color to fade like it's been worn over years of playing, when it's nearly brand new.
Winfielder likes this post
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young
I changed strings again today on my E1SS. I changed out the old PB to some Martin Monel light (12-54), which happen to be the same as what is on my J-45.

I then did a direct comparison between the E1SS and my J45. I have to say that much to my surprise I like the tone of the E1SS a little better.

The Eastman has much more bass the Gibson. I think the Adi top is what is coming through here. Both guitars sound good, giving that thuddy slope shoulder warmness to the tone. This J45 sounds exceptionally good, but I think the E1SS is at the very least it's equal.

I am actually surprised at how much I like the tone of the Eastman in comparison to the Gibson. The Gibson is always in contention as being my favorite acoustic sound but now I might have a new winner. Smile
Pura Vida, sleigh, AlanSam like this post
Wow!  When you consider the price difference, as well as how iconic the Gibson J-45 is, that's a huge statement for how well Eastman voices their instruments.
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First Impressions of E20SSV jphenderson91 12 2,722 03-19-2023, 12:45 PM
Last Post: Pura Vida
  NGD: Initial Impressions of an E8D-TC Alpine jphenderson91 21 8,161 01-24-2022, 01:26 PM
Last Post: Pura Vida