Change in Nut Widths?
Looking at the current specs on Eastman's web site shows that the nut width spec has changed on at least several electric models. I've been eyeing a T58/V for a while and I know that past models have had a 1.75" width and now Eastman says its 1.68" Other models seem to have gone from 1.75 to 1.72. Does anyone have insight or insider info on this change?

My own preference is a wider nut (even with electric guitars) and this has always made me gravitate towards Eastman electrics. I'm probably in the minority and maybe Eastman made the changes due to player feedback. Anyhow, it looks like I need to shop the used market for my T58/V.
Pura Vida, AlanSam, John90473 like this post
Interesting observation LittleRuss! Like you I wonder what the impetus was for this change.
Alan
''Bad company done got me here …'' - Rev Gary Davis
Wow... that's a really interesting find.  I also agree - definitely prefer the wider necks!
Interesting!  I wonder if this change was based on consumer feedback.
That makes some sense for electrics, where fingering speed can often be a decision-factor. A narrower nut = faster fingering.
AlanSam and Pura Vida like this post
Best, Steve

6 string acoustics: 2018 Eastman E10D (Red Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 Eastman E6D-TC (Alpine Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 AC522CE - GB (European Spruce/Mahogany)
Electric guitar: 1964 Guild Starfire V semi-hollow electric
Acoustic Bass: Epiphone El Capitan 5 String Acoustic/Electric Fretless (Year ?)
YouTube: sleighwriter
Interesting that some guitars went from 1-3/4 (1.75") to 1-23/32 (1.72"), like my T185MX is now showing online.  I agree that it makes sense for some electric guitars to be more narrow vs. acoustic.
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young
I prefer the wider neck too, but the only model I have with the 1.75 inch neck is the T59/v.  As we all know, the neck sizes vary a little from specification anyway, so you can be lucky and get one more to your liking, whatever that is.  My understanding was the Eastman made (but for at least one exception) all its archtops with 1.75" necks.   The solid bodies had the narrower neck, which was to comply with market expectation for that style of guitar.

I have an AR580ce which is a few years old and has the 1.72 inch neck, I think that was the spec from the start.  As it happens, the 580 was originally the Norman Brown signature model and the narrower neck on this archtop was his preference.  The signature series did not eventuate commercially. 

The T58/v and The AR580ce share exactly the same body, so maybe they changed the neck width to simplify the manufacturing process.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Eastman nut widths on new Thinline guitars Amigo 4 1,852 06-08-2023, 09:06 AM
Last Post: Lukew