Can I install Strap Peg in Side of Archtop?
Hi,
Has anyone ever installed a strap peg on the side of an archtop before?  I am thinking about position #3 (from the much-referenced guide of every conceivable strap-peg position ever, pasted below).  I'm guessing that there's no blocking inside an archtop to support a peg in position #3, so I will need to go with position #5.  Has anyone put a peg in either position #3 or #5 on an Eastman Archtop?  

I am the new owner of an AR403CED, which I just bought yesterday from Lou at Guitars N Jazz in Summit, NJ.  It's my first Eastman, and my first jazz box.  So far, I think I am loving it.  But when I play standing up, the stock strap peg (in position #1) feels uncomfortable for me, and I much prefer the feeling of my Gretsch hollow-body (with a peg in position #3) when played with a strap. Pegs in position #1 always make a guitar lean away from me, and feel less stable, and I like when they are nestled in close.   

(I'm a new Member here, and this is my first post.  I'm looking forward to diving into the mix with everyone, and I appreciate any replies.  I always appreciate pics to illustate what people are saying, too.)
Thanks 
[Image: attachment.php?aid=267]
Welcome to our site Songful! I have a jazz box - an Eastman AR371ce with the strap button in position #5. I would prefer it were in position #2 or maybe #1, which would result in the guitar leaning away from the body slightly affording more freedom for hand and arm movement. I should add that I don't play standing up unlike you. There are a number of vids around demonstrating the fitting of a strap button at position #5. I have successfully fitted buttons in this position to a couple on my flattops and it is well manageable, but if you don't fancy doing it yourself take it to a guitar store/luthier. Good luck sorting this out and do keep us informed of your progress.
Alan
''Bad company done got me here …'' - Rev Gary Davis
Thanks for the welcome, and for the info, AlanSam.  Much appreciated! 

I just remembered that I saw an Eastman model with a #3 position strap peg, and I just found it:
AR380CE – John Pisano
Here's a link:
http://guitarsnjazz.com/product/eastman-...hn-pisano/

Looking online, I see that the higher end Pisano models (AR680 and AR880, which are both solid wood) have a #1 peg, or they don't have one at all.  But all of the AR480's (which are laminate wood, like my AR403) on Reverb.com have a #3 peg:
[Image: rcgim06hqde1mgwodsmx.jpg]

Perhaps a laminate guitar could take a peg strap on the side, but a solid one could not?  This image of a Gretsch hollow body (which is a laminate, I presume) doesn't show any extra blocking where a #3 peg strap would go (nor do some other images I saw online:
[Image: 49463d1515511874-gretsch-trestle-bracing...racing-jpg]

So it is definitely possible, although I wonder if it would be a workable retrofit project to do since the AR403 might have different blocking in the #3 position area than the AR380 and AR480?
I didn't really answer your question earlier, the structural suitability of the area to be fitted with a button would be a concern. As you imply, laminate will likely be stronger than one piece solid wood. But I just don't know.
Alan
''Bad company done got me here …'' - Rev Gary Davis