Atkin owners?
Howdy. Hope everyone had a wonderful holiday season with family and friends. GAS has infected me yet again, and I'm seeking out opinions on the Atkin acoustic guitars. Does anyone own one? If so, thoughts, pros/cons? I'm really wanting their J43 dread (basically Gibson J45).

Various channels on YT rave about the J43, and it does sound amazing through my phone.

I'm wanting to purchase my first boutique guitar soon, and Atkin has caught my eye. And for boutique brands, they're not as expensive as some of the brands.

Thanks!
2020 Eastman E8OM-TC
2023 Eastman E2D
They have had a few of them at acoustic vibes here in the Phoenix area that I have played: https://acousticvibesmusic.com/collections/m-atkin

Very good projection - nice guitars. I haven't spent enough time with them to give you much more than that, but seems to be a brand worth looking into.
AlanSam, TomC, SasquatchLife like this post
They're not as expensive as some of the boutique brands, but all the models I saw in a quick browse of the internet has them at $5,000 plus, which is outa my comfort zone money-wise. I'm a $2,500 or (preferably) less kinda guy. Especially given that I'm not sure how many trips around the sun I have left, and my current Eastmans satisfy me just fine.
SasquatchLife likes this post
Best, Steve

6 string acoustics: 2018 Eastman E10D (Red Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 Eastman E6D-TC (Alpine Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 AC522CE - GB (European Spruce/Mahogany)
Electric guitar: 1964 Guild Starfire V semi-hollow electric
Acoustic Bass: Epiphone El Capitan 5 String Acoustic/Electric Fretless (Year ?)
YouTube: sleighwriter
(01-09-2024, 03:11 PM)sleigh Wrote: They're not as expensive as some of the boutique brands, but all the models I saw in a quick browse of the internet has them at $5,000 plus, which is outa my comfort zone money-wise. I'm a $2,500 or (preferably) less kinda guy. Especially given that I'm not sure how many trips around the sun I have left, and my current Eastmans satisfy me just fine.

I found a brand new J43 on Reverb for about $3,900. They also have a few other models of interest for around $3K. I'm like you, I wouldn't spend 5K on a guitar right now, too expensive! I'd feel guilty. Maybe some other day! And my Eastmans are more than satisfying, I'm just getting that GAS itch again haha.
2020 Eastman E8OM-TC
2023 Eastman E2D
I first played an Atkin at Acoustic Vibe as well. It was one of J43. I was floored. Might have been one of the best slope guitars I have ever held. That was two years. I was able to play a couple of others as well. I believe one was at The Acoustic Shoppe. Same reaction. Just an incredible guitar. As much as I liked it, I knew the 1 11/16" nut is not my preference. Plus the necks seemed a little on the thinner side. They felt similar to a Martin MLO or Taylor - maybe a little thinner, maybe not.  In September, I saw a listing for a custom Atkin  J43 with a 1.75" nut on AGF. They call it "heavily aged" but it is nothing like a Pre-War Guitar Level II or III. Before I could figure out what to sell, the listing sold. Fast forward to the end of December. I had just sold an Iris and my '56 Gibson J45. The J45 was incredible, but again that pesky 1 11/16" nut. Scanning the AGF classifieds, what should I see but that custom Atkin for sale again. A deal was struck. Three days later I was in possession of an Atkin. All the hype is well deserved. Compared to a Walker Wise River I have, the tone of the Atkin is fuller/richer. The Walker jumps out at you. The Atkin envelops you. I couldn't be happier. The wider nut and what I feel is a little fuller neck fit me perfectly. I think the term is a little over-used, but I consider it my Goldilocks neck - not too fat, not too thin and just a skosh over 1.75". I will admit they are expensive but not when compared to their competition. They are about the same price as the new Gibson J45 '42 Banner, cheaper then the Murphy Lab version, $1500-$2000 less than a Kopp or Walker and probably $3000 less than a Fairbanks. Atkin holds its own against any of them. IMHO

Pics below plus a pic of slopes from around the world - Eastman E20SSv(China/Asia) - Atkin J43 (UK/Europe) - Walker Wise River (USA/NA)
[Image: pPS9Gze.jpg]
[Image: 33RS3h0.jpg]
[Image: 4MeAD4G.jpg]
[Image: V8WtUX3.jpg]
SasquatchLife, DonO, AlanSam, sleigh like this post
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. John Lennon

Current stable - prone to frequent changes
Tom - have you, or indeed anyone here, ever played a Preston Thompson slope dread?
Alan
''Bad company done got me here …'' - Rev Gary Davis
(01-13-2024, 06:55 PM)AlanSam Wrote: Tom - have you, or indeed anyone here, ever played a Preston Thompson slope dread?

Alan
No I have not. Those are definitely beyond my means. Kind of the same category as a Froggy Bottom. I wouldn’t mind though.
SasquatchLife and AlanSam like this post

I have to admit they are a little on the expensive side, but I sold off a couple of things and little financial windfall allowed me to add the 000 37 to the Atkin J43. The 000 37 is a torrefied Sitka/EIR, short scale 000. The nut is 45 mm (1.78") and I like the little extra room. Spacing at the saddle is 2.25". The finish is pre-aged - basically the nitro is very thin and finely crackled throughout the guitar. This one did not have any simulated play wear on it. I think Atkin Guitars is definitely on to something.

Attached Files

Hey Tom - love it. That guitar sounds like the perfect fingerstyler with the little bit of extra space! Wish I lived nearby and could come try it out...

How is the guitar tone-wise? How does it compare to some of your Eastmans?
Tim
The best way I can put it - it sounds broken in. It is very light and responsive. Has better than expected bass and volume for a smaller body. The tone is more classic 000 than modern. (About the best I can put it) IF the links below work, this is what was provide by Coda Music. I had to cut it up because of Imgur 60 second rules

https://imgur.com/2xzMysp
https://imgur.com/3Ad3uBn
https://imgur.com/zBhCcQZ
Meathead likes this post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atkin 12 fret Dread AlanSam 1 897 01-16-2022, 06:58 AM
Last Post: Zissou Intern