Archtop sustain
Hi all, I just perchased an AR810CE-CS, made the deal over the phone after seeing some pictures, the nearest dealer that had a800 series was 300 miles away. So, it gets here and it looks great, fit and finish are outstanding. fret work maybe the best I've seen on a new guitar. Then I start playing it and, well, the acoustic tone is fine, I sort of knew what to expect ..but pluged in, This is where I started doubting. There is practicly no sudtain and the tone is lean and overly bright so I feel. I was expecting something along the lines of what you get from an L5 CES but nothing close...

Is this normal or did I get a dud ? My cheap Ibanez AF95 all laminated has ton more sustain and a much richer elctrified tone...

please advise.

Claude
I have the exact same experience with a AR403, which is much cheaper of course, but also sounded bright, a bit thin, very acoustic, but almost nasal. I tried a different pickup (a CC) which helped, but I didn't bond with it. My Ibanez LGB30 also had more sustain. I play thin lines now mostly. A T64 with TI flat wounds through a DV Mark Little Jazz is all I need.
I feel your pain and have had a similar experience .
But if the acoustic tone and sustain are good it's in the electronics.
I have a 386 that I wasn't exactly happy with playing next to my Gibson 335's . Playing it acoustically with them it's sounded great, better then the Gibson's .
I actually put it for sale then decided to change the pickups . Seymour Duncan phat cat neck and 59 . It was better still not the Gibson's . But man acoustically the thing was great . So I'm in deep now lol let's do it again . This time I changed the cheapish wiring and stock pots for a Gibson wiring harness and there 57 pickups . It's just the best 335 style guitar now I've owned . It's so good I sold the two Gibson's I had .
I have a T 146 and it sounded fine but again acoustically much better then amplified . The standard Wilkinson pickup, pots had to go . Upgraded everything and popped in a 59 . Again now just wonderful .
Some Eastman have 250k pots , not sure about the 810 but I'm not a fan and learn to 500k .
My sb59 had nice wire , caps and pots unfortunately most of my Eastman thinlines and hollow bodies I've had have not . But These guitars are worth the effort and expense to make better as they have the potential to be some of the best. Wait till these guitars age and settle in WOW !
I have to say - I wouldn't buy a guitar if I believed there was a likelihood  of me having to replace pups and/or wiring to secure an acceptable sound.
Lukew likes this post
Alan
''Bad company done got me here …'' - Rev Gary Davis
Alan I understand your logic and wish it was always possible to buy a electric guitar that was just right electronically. But let's look at what Eastman offer's at a fair price point with slime lines and hollow body's . Compare that to Gibson just for one brand . Double, triple, quadruple the price. The thing that keeps me intrigued with Eastman was something the VP from stewMac told me after visiting the factory . He said he couldn't believe how much old wood they had . He said they have the finest selection of timber he's ever seen . He tours the world going to guitar manufacturers.
If my Eastman jazz box that cost $2000. Acoustically sounds better then my heritage jazz box that cost $5,000. Why would we cheat ourselves for the few penny's relatively speaking to upgrade something as simple as electronics. $100. Pickup , $14. In potentiometers and some good wire and capacitor let's say $10. ($124. To unlock the potentially of the instrument) money very well spent . Even if you payed $75. Labor on top . Just think of eastman's build as old-world by the hands of humans with rare woods in today's world hard or impossible to obtain by most .
Case in point my 386 I purchased new for $900. + $550 in upgrades $1450. And it is so far above my $2850. Gibson 335 and my vintage 1972 335 $4500.
Think in sound and playability , just the feel of the Eastman and the acoustic properties kept me thinking
( You can be better lol ) like I said I actually put it for sale , man so glad I didn't sell it . I've said this on here before , it's the best all around GUITAR in my collection.
Lukew likes this post
Thanks for the explanation Zeiss! On the face of things it would seem a pity that Eastman don't produce a few 'deluxe' models with the better wiring and quality pups etc. I would add that I am primarily acoustic, and the thought of having to tinker with this sort of stuff fills me with apprehension. What would you recommend for those members above who find their guitars' sounds too 'bright' and 'thin'?
Zeiss likes this post
Alan
''Bad company done got me here …'' - Rev Gary Davis
Eastman DOES produce a number of electrics with first-rate pickups - Lollar, TV Jones, Seymour Duncan. T49, T58 and T64, for example.

To the OP:
As for the guitar sounding too bright and thin - what strings do you currently have on your guitar? If they are roundwounds, snd you want to use it primarily plugged in, try some flatwounds (Thomastik Infelds in particular).
Have you experimented with pickup height (moving it closer to the strings)? Also, there are always the tone pots on the guitar and your amp to turn down...
Zeiss and AlanSam like this post
Add the T186mx to the list of Eastman's with top notch electronics and pickups.
Garcon
My 484 came with much better electronics then my 386 . I thought about a 486 instead but wanted that red beauty without the flame top .
Alan first why does it sound thin has to be investigated . It can just be a string change , brand , gauge , design , flat wounds, half rounds, material , it goes on and on .
Or how the guitar is wired , modern, vintage 50's makes a difference . I always start with the acoustic sound , if it isn't good or great I move on . I've hand guitars with humbuckers and no matter what I did just wasn't to my liking . Changed to a single coil in a humbucker housing and viola ! Same in the other direction . Look what changing type of pick can do .
I saw someone said pickup heights , huge for sound and tone not just volume . It's so enjoyable finding more magic in every note.
AlanSam likes this post