Antique Varnish Care
Sorry if this has been covered, but what do people use in terms of cleaner, polish, wax, etc. on the antique varnish finish. I just picked up a black SB59/v and the only thing I've been brave enough to try so far is some of my Music Nomad Detailer which worked out OK just to get clean off a bit of store dust. I'm used to giving my guitars the works with cleaner, polish and wax but I'm hesitant with the varnish. I couldn't find any care instructions on Eastman's website. Thanks.
Welcome, maze!  Great question.

I've been told not to use traditional cleaning products on the Varnish series guitars.  I own an E10SS/v acoustic, and for two years, I've only used a dry cloth.  But Eastman says that they use StewMac's Preservation Polish on their Varnish guitars in Pomona, so that's probably a safe bet.

I use Music Nomad's Guitar Detailer on my open pore and satin finishes, and since it's also wax and polish free, it may be ok, as long as the finish is hard and cured.  I'd suggest contacting them directly (they're very responsive) or trying on a small area first.  I've seen more than one E10SS/v with a cloudy, milky finish b/c someone tried to clean it with regular cleaning products.  Another EGF/AGF member recently returned a guitar through Reverb that arrived that way.
Lukew likes this post
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young
(07-31-2020, 08:57 AM)Pura Vida Wrote: Welcome, maze!  Great question.

I've been told not to use traditional cleaning products on the Varnish series guitars.  I own an E10SS/v acoustic, and for two years, I've only used a dry cloth.  But Eastman says that they use StewMac's Preservation Polish on their Varnish guitars in Pomona, so that's probably a safe bet.

I use Music Nomad's Guitar Detailer on my open pore and satin finishes, and since it's also wax and polish free, it may be ok, as long as the finish is hard and cured.  I'd suggest contacting them directly (they're very responsive) or trying on a small area first.  I've seen more than one E10SS/v with a cloudy, milky finish b/c someone tried to clean it with regular cleaning products.  Another EGF/AGF member recently returned a guitar through Reverb that arrived that way.

Thanks. I emailed Eastman and will report back for others that may be interested. The Music Nomad Guitar Detailer seemed to work fine when I used it the other day, but I'm holding off on anything else until I get a response.
Lukew likes this post
I sent an email to Music Nomad to get their thoughts on using "Guitar Detailer" on the varnish finishes.
Exactly what Pura Vida says.  

I emailed Eastman some time ago about my varnish finish and they recommended a clean dry cloth, damp only if necessary, but it is important leave the finish dry.

You can also use your breath or even saliva for the dampness if you need it.  This come from violin luthiers who have been maintaining these finishes for centuries.

+1 on the Stewmac's Preservation Finish specifically for the varnish finish.  I have never used it myelf, but I have heard it recommended by a couple of Eastman people.  I have only ever used my breath and a soft dry cloth.

I will be very interested to hear the replies from both Eastman and Music Nomad.
Just heard back from Eastman -- they recommend a damp microfiber cloth which I assume means just water. Not really that helpful since I was wondering more about applying some type of protective or enhancement coating, but maybe they indirectly answered that question as well.
Response from Morgan Miles at Music Nomad:  "Thanks for reaching out and using our products. The Guitar Detailer will be safe and will work great for that specific finish on your Eastman."

I explained how the varnish finish was different than nitro or poly, and I provided the Antique Varnish link to Eastman's website.  I'll probably stick with the dry cloth, but it's good to know that the Guitar Detailer is probably ok too.
Lukew likes this post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Guitar Day: SB55DC/v Antique Varnish Junior dc 7 2,746 10-29-2022, 03:11 AM
Last Post: [email protected]