Amp for Acoustic Bass Guitar
Is it ok to play an acoustic bass guitar, for example the Fender CB-60, through a standard (ie not bass-specific) amp? I am primarily concerned with possibly damaging the amp if I sucumbed to temptation and just for the hell of it maxed out the volume. Any views?
Alan
''Bad company done got me here …'' - Rev Gary Davis
Alan - in absence of having a bass amp handy, I've done this several times with no issues (personally). Not sure I'd max the volume, but in a pinch it has worked in the past!
AlanSam likes this post
Alan -- As someone who played bass for ages, the answer to that is 'maybe,' given that you NEVER max out the volume or even come close to it. Otherwise, you'll likely have distortion through the speakers or at worst, blow the speakers in the amp entirely. But if you're planning to run a bass through an amp regularly, buy an actual bass amp! The good news is that you can play a regular guitar through a bass amp with no problems whatsoever, but the reverse (playing a bass through a guitar amp) really doesn't work.
Meathead and AlanSam like this post
Best, Steve

6 string acoustics: 2018 Eastman E10D (Red Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 Eastman E6D-TC (Alpine Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 AC522CE - GB (European Spruce/Mahogany)
Electric guitar: 1964 Guild Starfire V semi-hollow electric
Acoustic Bass: Epiphone El Capitan 5 String Acoustic/Electric Fretless (Year ?)
YouTube: sleighwriter

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bach on Bass Guitar AlanSam 1 592 06-23-2021, 12:42 PM
Last Post: sleigh
  Acoustic Guitar Stands? vashondan 14 2,809 06-07-2021, 10:48 PM
Last Post: Pura Vida
  11 Best Acoustic Guitar Songs AlanSam 21 3,681 01-21-2021, 03:23 PM
Last Post: brandonknapp