AR403 body depth?
New guy here, don't own an Eastman yet, but I'm researching options, mostly interested in the AR403, AR 503, and T146. I have problems with pain in my right shoulder when I play too large, too deep-bodied instruments for longer periods of time, so I'm really interested in something slim.

While looking at new and used Eastmans online, I found that the AR403 has two different body thicknesses listed:
A lot of sites have the depth listed as 2-9/16" (same as the AR503); and on a lot of other sites, the depth is listed as 3-9/32" - quite a significant difference! The latter is mostly mentioned for the AR403CED twin-pickup version, which, apparently, is the only 403 version currently in production...

So, has anybody here recently bought or tested a new AR403 (CED or not)? Is it as thin as an AR503, or as thick as an ES-175 (or the Eastman AR371)?
Hi RomanS,

Welcome to the EGF Forum.

Unfortunately, I can't offer a definitive answer.  I did once own an AR503CE which I believed to be the same dimension as the AR403CE.  I would have guessed the body depth on my AR503CE was approximately 2-3/4" at the rim but I do see that Eastman's site lists it's dept to be 2-9/16".  This seems plausible to me.

I do also notice that Eastman's site notes that the AR403CE body depth is 3-9/32" presumably at the rim.  I find this to be interesting.  I have played the AR403CE at shops before, but do not remember it having a deeper body than my AR503CE.  Having said that, I would guess that the website should be correct...but as mentioned, I don't feel I can offer a definitive answer.

Sorry to be of no help.  I'm sure if you call Eastman or an authorized dealer, they can help verify the spec.

Good luck and let us know what you find out.

Best regards,
Darryl
Pura Vida and AlanSam like this post
Sent a message to Eastman, asking about the body depth - we'll see!

And while I was already asking, I also wanted to know whether that smaller headstock style (like on the very latest T64 models) is going to be introduced on ALL models.

Will post again when/if I get an answer!
Pura Vida and Wildfield like this post
Hi RomanS,

do you have the answer yet ?

As I do have exactly the same issue: the website of Eastman says 3-9/32" depth for the AR403 CED, but I cannot really believe this.
All other websites say 2-9/16", although that was for the little older AR403 CE, so the one with only the neck pickup.

Further, the AR403 CED just doesn't look like the 3-9/32" of the AR372, for example.

I'd appreciate your support on this topic, as I'm going to make a buy-decision, but cannot look at the guitar because no dealer around does have it.

Regards
trixo
Sorry, never got an answer from Eastman...
Perhaps try having your dealer work up the answer.  They should have a direct contact with Eastman.  Also, if you're on Facebook, there is an Eastman Owners group that's managed by a couple of key Eastman employees.  I'm sure someone could get an answer there (or try Eastman directly again).
Lukew likes this post
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young
Hello,
I believe the body depth is 2 - 9/16 inches.
Cheers
(08-09-2020, 08:31 AM)Lukew Wrote: Hello,
I believe the body depth is 2 - 9/16 inches.
Cheers

I just measure the AR503 in my shop and that's what I'm getting
I have a T146, It's an inch and three quarters. It's perfect for me as I don't like bigger than the 16. I've had a few jazz boxes and I thought I was missing something by not having a deeper body. Boy was I wrong, The 146 has a clarity that I think is lost with the thicker bodies. You know the tone Ithey say comes from the top . Guitar is amplified so You don't need the depth for volume.
Now I experimented , I even had a heritage eagle supposedly top of the line jazz box . Not saying it wasn't nice but note for note I would take the Eastman t146 over it any time. I also found that the Eastman jazz boxes that are plywood weren't to my liking. If it's a laminated guitar I want a block down the center.. If it's hollow I want solid wood construction.
As everyone has said welcome ! I really think Eastman is like striking gold lol Good luck on your quest

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  T184MX Neck Depth Question DCG 1 617 10-21-2023, 06:42 AM
Last Post: Charlieb