A question of Quality between models...
Hello again!

Are the only differences between the different models (such as e20d, e8d-tc etc.) the woods and aesthetics? And on the back of this question, is the build process and overall quality is consistent across the board no matter what model?

I ask this in terms of looking at the E10D vs say that of the E8D - is the only difference the woods that are used, with everything else including time being made and spent on making it a quality instrument the same? I suppose this is about whether or not spending more on the next Eastman up gets you a better quality instrument than the last, or it just pays for the "better" (more expensive according to the market) cuts of wood.

Cheers.
(01-29-2023, 02:36 AM)Longgonelonesome Wrote: Hello again!

Are the only differences between the different models (such as e20d, e8d-tc etc.) the woods and aesthetics? And on the back of this question, is the build process and overall quality is consistent across the board no matter what model?

I ask this in terms of looking at the E10D vs say that of the E8D - is the only difference the woods that are used, with everything else including time being made and spent on making it a quality instrument the same? I suppose this is about whether or not spending more on the next Eastman up gets you a better quality instrument than the last, or it just pays for the "better" (more expensive according to the market) cuts of wood.

Cheers.

I can give you my experience, with my 322 and 222. Yup, only one model apart numerically, but the 322 is in the gloss finish/hard case range with the 222 in the open pore finish/gig bag range. They're both very well built, with really nice fit and finish. The 222 came with a higher action and needed some setup tweaks to adjust it to my preference, but that and the bag are the only noticeable differences. The setup was still good, though, I just prefer it a bit lower.
Longgonelonesome likes this post
(01-29-2023, 06:41 AM)Aahzz Wrote:

Cheers.

I can give you my experience, with my 322 and 222. Yup, only one model apart numerically, but the 322 is in the gloss finish/hard case range with the 222 in the open pore finish/gig bag range. They're both very well built, with really nice fit and finish. The 222 came with a higher action and needed some setup tweaks to adjust it to my preference, but that and the bag are the only noticeable differences. The setup was still good, though, I just prefer it a bit lower. 

Thanks for the answer. So the quality was consistent across models or was the 322 better overall? Cheers.
(01-29-2023, 06:45 AM)Longgonelonesome Wrote:
(01-29-2023, 06:41 AM)Aahzz Wrote:

Cheers.

Thanks for the answer. So the quality was consistent across models or was the 322 better overall? Cheers. 

The quality is absolutely consistent.
I have encountered inconsistencies/variances in neck size and shapes when compared to specs. I have experienced nut slots being too high or inconsistent fret heights, but this can easily be remedied with a good set up. This seems to be regardless of series. The exception to this would be when you get to the AC922CE or any of the E40s. Those just seen to have something a little extra.
penname and Longgonelonesome like this post
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. John Lennon

Current stable - prone to frequent changes
(01-29-2023, 08:57 AM)TomC Wrote: I have encountered inconsistencies/variances in neck size and shapes when compared to specs. I have experienced nut slots being too high or inconsistent fret heights, but this can easily be remedied with a good set up. This seems to be regardless of series. The exception to this would be when you get to the AC922CE or any of the E40s. Those just seen to have something a little extra.

So definitely possible that the higher the price - the better the quality in some cases would you say?
So definitely possible that the higher the price - the better the quality in some cases would you say?
[/quote]

I would say more of an attention to detail. I really have zero concerns with Eastman quality regardless of series.
sleigh, SasquatchLife, Pura Vida like this post
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. John Lennon

Current stable - prone to frequent changes
All Eastman crafter's are well trained and have an eye for detail making all models very well built, altho I think I had read somewhere that their upper line premier builds are moved up to their most experienced builders
My understanding is that the E6/E8/E10/E20 models are made by the same workers with the differences being driven by wood combination and attached aesthetics.  I'm not sure if the E1/E2/E3 are made by the same workers or different.  This same logic would apply to the AC lineup, where AC3xxx, 4xx, 5xx, 6xx, and 7xx are made by the same people, but not sure about AC122 and AC222.

Both of the exception groups listed are open pore finishes and lower price point overall, which means a different crew could be working on them (or the same).  They do manage to hit a price point b/c the pore finish is costly, but these models are still build quite well.

Eastman places their master luthiers onto their premium models.  This includes the E40 models, plus the AC630 (jumbo) and AC822/922 GA models.  In addition to the premium materials, there's greater attention to details and build quality.  I own several of these models, and every one of them is exceptional.  In Martin terms, think D-42 vs. D-28... both are factory guitars, but there's something special about Martin's 40 models.
TomC, penname, AlanSam, Aahzz, Longgonelonesome like this post
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young
I am familiar with most of the lineup, having owned many of the OM and AC models.

The E8OM, E20OM-TC and E40OM: I preferred the more relaxed and warmer tone of the E8OM, though the E20OM had a larger bass (but was very bright). The E40OM which I now own is more responsive than either of the others, with more tonal color. It is still bright (I chalk that up to the red spruce top) and it looks a lot more fancy.

I would say that you couldn't go wrong with any of the above, the weakest one per dollar is the E20OM (and I had two samples of this model). The E40 is undoubtedly a superior guitar to the others, but at a much higher price point. It seems to have been worked a bit thinner, the lower models seemed heavy and a bit thick, the E40 certainly more open and resonant.

I have also owned or tried at length the AC models 222, 322, 422, 722 and 822. The workmanship and beauty of materials certainly increases with price, but I am not a fan of the sound of the Engleman spruce of the 722 and 822 - it lacks the focus and tonal strength of the Sitka top guitars. So, I would take a 422 over a 722 and perhaps even an 822, because I prefer the sound of Sitka over Engleman (and considering the price difference).
2021 Eastman AC622CE
2020 Eastman E40OM
2020 Eastman AC308CE (Limited Edition)
2020 Martin HD-28
2021 Eastman PCH3-GACE
2004 Gibson Les Paul Studio, wine red
1999 Taylor 714 custom, Cedar/Brazilian Rosewood

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Eastman guitar quality. REHII 1 981 02-26-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: jay9318