A hello from a new owner
Just a quick hello from a new Eastman owner.

Had fun yesterday as I picked up a new T386 in vintage sunburst, having found 1.75" nut width (I have relatively small hands) and neck profile comfy in the hand.
It interesting to be given options, T386, T486, T59 and T64, but I am just a sucker for the vintage sunburst and dot inlays, so T386 it was.
The pickups in the 486 definitely had more clarity and were more articulate, but I figure I an easily swap out if needs be.

Hugely loving this guitar, sits happily alongside my ES-135 (P100s), and I am looking forward to many years of music with it. I also look forward to any hints or tips for getting the most out of it.

Cheers all
Rens, AlanSam, Junior dc like this post

Attached Files

JohnnyH -- congrats on your new Eastman, and may it give you years of playing delight. And it's a nice-looking guitar, to boot!
JohnnyH likes this post
Best, Steve

6 string acoustics: 2018 Eastman E10D (Red Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 Eastman E6D-TC (Alpine Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 AC522CE - GB (European Spruce/Mahogany)
Electric guitar: 1964 Guild Starfire V semi-hollow electric
Acoustic Bass: Epiphone El Capitan 5 String Acoustic/Electric Fretless (Year ?)
YouTube: sleighwriter
Hey! Welcome to the forum and hope you enjoy your time here. That's a lovely guitar, does it have a center block? I own an Epiphone with one and while the guitar is great it also makes it really burdensome to play (for me at least).
JohnnyH likes this post
(07-24-2022, 07:36 AM)Rens Wrote: Hey! Welcome to the forum and hope you enjoy your time here. That's a lovely guitar, does it have a center block? I own an Epiphone with one and while the guitar is great it also makes it really burdensome to play (for me at least).

It does indeed have a center block, maple I believe. It isn't the lightest guitar, certainly more weighty than my ES-135 or my Gretsch Hollow body, but it is extremly well balance and I have really taken to it.

The neck is a dream, and whilst I was initially concerned about the 44mm nut, given that my other guitars are 42, it really is a non issue. The neck fits the hand perfectly.

Smile
Congrats and welcome.  If I’m not mistaken, the T386/484/486 all have a center block all the way through (like a Gibson 335), while the T184/185/186 are mostly hollow (except for a small block under the tailpiece).  Also, I think the 386/486 are identical except pickups, fret inlays, and more flame on the 486 bodies.  Since you like the dot inlays, you can swap out the pickups, as you mention.
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young
(08-01-2022, 12:40 AM)Pura Vida Wrote: Congrats and welcome.  If I’m not mistaken, the T386/484/486 all have a center block all the way through (like a Gibson 335), while the T184/185/186 are mostly hollow (except for a small block under the tailpiece).  Also, I think the 386/486 are identical except pickups, fret inlays, and more flame on the 486 bodies.  Since you like the dot inlays, you can swap out the pickups, as you mention.

Hi and thank you.

Yes, it is pretty much identical to the 486 bar the inlays and the pickups. I had the choice of a 486 in Goldburst, but the vintage sunburst and dots appeals to me more visually. 

I will admit the neck pickup in the 486 was more articulate, but I can easily swap out the pickups so went with the one that I liked the look of. The feel in the hand and the playability were identical. Acoustially there were no distinguishable differences either.

Definitely a guitar I have bonded with Smile
Pura Vida and sleigh like this post