Why Do Eastman's Weigh More?
So I pulled out my kitchen scale a couple of months ago and decided I wanted to know what all of my Eastman's weighed.  I found below that they're all in the 4-5 pound range. 

2015 E10oo-M--4 lbs 5.5 oz
2017 E6OM--4 lbs. 5.4 oz
2017 E20om--4 lbs 10.6 oz
2020 E10oo--4 lbs 7.9 oz
2021 E10SS/V--4 lbs 4.8 oz

Does anyone have an idea of what makes these heavier than something like a Martin or Collings (or something even lighter?)  I don't have solid numbers on the weights of similar instruments from other makers (maybe someone else here does?) but these guitars seem slightly heavy.  I've googled around a little and it seems like these could be 8-16 oz lighter.  Some suggestions might be thicker wood in the body, beefier necks, thicker finish, thicker bracing, or denser wood? 

My lightest Eastman is my largest, but my E10ss/V also has the slimmest neck and (probably) thinnest finish.  Those of you with E40's--do they seem lighter than the 20 series?  These aren't HEAVY, but they're not super light either.  I'm not sure how much weight matters, but hoped some of you might have an idea on the philosophy here.  Thanks!
The only direct comparison I have is between my 2018 E40OM and a recently received E20OM-MR-TC. The 40 is noticeably heavier. I did not weight them. Some differences I notice immediately - the neck on the 40 is a little beefier, the finish appears thicker (nitro vs True Tone) and the back braces on the 20 are thinner and about 2/3 the height.

I am just not sure what all of this means.
Pura Vida and sleigh like this post
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. John Lennon

Current stable - prone to frequent changes
Thanks Tom!  I was curious if it's a mass-market thing for the 20 series and if they were willing to build the 40's lighter.  Interesting that the MR have different back-bracing as well.
That’s a interesting question considering they are supposed to have thinner tops.
My E6D-TC ways a ton more compared to my Martin 000-18, but it sings when I bang my farmer chords.
sleigh likes this post
Eastman E6D-TC (alpine)
Martin 000-18
Seagull Entourage
Republic RP-1
My lightest weight Eastman is my AC615.
16" jumbo.
Feather light & may be the lightest acoustic I've ever owned.
2008/09 model.
It's much larger side by side against my E1SS & E6SS-TC, but they both outweigh the AC615.
Zissou Intern and sleigh like this post
(12-15-2022, 05:20 PM)Al30906 Wrote: That’s a interesting question considering they are supposed to have thinner tops.

Right--I've avoided pulling out the micrometer since I don't like metal edges close to finished wood if I can avoid it, but I could put some felt or cloth on them.

(12-15-2022, 09:24 PM)Fatfingers Wrote: My E6D-TC ways a ton more compared to my Martin 000-18, but it sings when I bang my farmer chords.

From the little reading I did on this it seems that it's still possible to build a great-sounding guitar that's on the heavy side.  I honestly don't care for the Martin tone, but am amazed at the weight of them every time I hold one.  

(12-16-2022, 06:16 AM)Roy Wrote: My lightest weight Eastman is my AC615.
16" jumbo.
Feather light & may be the lightest acoustic I've ever owned.
2008/09 model.
It's much larger side by side against my E1SS & E6SS-TC, but they both outweigh the AC615.

So Eastman DID build lighter in the early days!  I'm guessing this caused more warranty claims and made them building a little heavier.  Thanks!
Quote:From the little reading I did on this it seems that it's still possible to build a great-sounding guitar that's on the heavy side.

Surely you do know - since you're on this forum - that it is possible to build a great-sounding guitar that isn't a featherweight. Eastman does it often. My E16SS-TC is a great-sounding guitar that is a pleasure to play. I wouldn't call it heavy but it isn't "light." The craftsmanship is outstanding!
Pura Vida, SasquatchLife, sleigh like this post
(12-16-2022, 11:50 AM)GoingHome Wrote:
Quote:From the little reading I did on this it seems that it's still possible to build a great-sounding guitar that's on the heavy side.

Surely you do know - since you're on this forum - that it is possible to build a great-sounding guitar that isn't a featherweight. Eastman does it often. My E16SS-TC is a great-sounding guitar that is a pleasure to play. I wouldn't call it heavy but it isn't "light." The craftsmanship is outstanding! 

Sure, I know it's possible to build a very good guitar that weighs what Eastman's do (since I just listed five of them that I like quite a bit.)  Part of that is that I'm used to (and like) their voicing.

I'm more curious as to what an Eastman that weighed a pound less would sound like.  If a 40 series were significantly lighter, then I'd be more willing to purchase one unseen.
I'm curious if the Mahogany they use on their (oftentimes full sized) necks plays a factor.  Is Khaya heavier than other types of Mahogany?  I think that and possibly the finish may be two of the drivers for the additional weight.  To Tom C's point earlier, his MR with Truetone is lighter than his same-size E40OM with Nitro finish.
Al30906 and sleigh like this post
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young