Sticky Nitro Neck
Anyone used a scotch-brite or #OOOO steel wool on their SB59 nitro neck? I have a case of the sticky neck syndrome and would love to make this on play like my two varnish models.
NEVER use steel wool on an electric guitar. It's of the devil. Steel wool breaks down into little crumbs that (1) rust, (2) hurt your fingers, (3) short out your electronics, (4) contaminate everything because of static electricity. Leave it to the cabinetmakers.

Use Scotchbrite. It comes in many grits, and causes none of the problems listed above. Heck, you can wash it out if you need to.

Buy some white or light gray Scotchbrite and lightly scrub up and down the back of your neck. You barely want to apply pressure. If you are seeing the scratches and dulling the finish, you are pressing too hard. Don't get carried away. Test before, scrub a bit, test again. You'll be surprised at the difference a minute or two can make.
Zeiss, Pura Vida, sleigh, AlanSam, LittleRuss like this post
"Act your age, not your shoe size" - Prince
Chris - I have to say you bring a lot of knowledge to this forum.
LittleRuss, Pura Vida, sleigh like this post
Alan
''Bad company done got me here …'' - Rev Gary Davis
Thanks, sir. I try.
"Act your age, not your shoe size" - Prince
Good advice.  Cheers, Chris!  I bought some "0000" steel wool, but only used it once on an older acoustic guitar neck that was a little tacky.  I predict it ends up getting added to this week's trash.  Smile
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young
I found the grey Scotch Brite at the local auto parts store and it made quick work of the "sticky." Very pleased with the result and way less hassle that prepping a guitar with plastic/tape for the steel wool. 

Thanks for the advice!
Chris Pile, Zeiss, sleigh, Pura Vida like this post