Anyone have experience with the Boss VE-8 Acoustic Singer?
Last week I bought the Boss VE-8.  To me, it seems amazing!  My AC222CE-OV is equipped with the Fishman Sonitone UST, which sounds a little harsh.  Th VE-8 totally cleaned this up and the guitar sounds natural, as if it were miked up. 

The main reason I bought the VE-8 was my singing, which is not very good.  The VE-8 has pitch correction, voice enhancement and 2/3 part harmony.  To me, this all works amazingly well.  Now I can stand to listen to myself sing.

I am wondering what others have experienced with the VE-8, and what their opinions of it are.

CJ
CJH - your Boss VE-8 Acoustic Singer seems really impressive. You mentioned that it can 'correct' the pitch of your voice. What does this mean? Does it standardise a voice to a pitch by filtering out any slight deviations or 'wobbles'? Seems like very smart software if it does.

I subsequently found this link, which is good but doesn't demonstrate a 'before' and 'after' example of pitch correction :- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srw6GmCFQcI
Alan
''Bad company done got me here …'' - Rev Gary Davis
Alan

I have only had it a few days, and I do not pretend to know all the details.  

I think it does actually correct the pitch of my voice, within limits, of course.  The manual says "Corrects inaccuracies in the pitch of your voice, improving precision of the harmony."  It definitely does that.  I am not 100% sure if it corrects voice pitch when harmony is turned off.  I think so.

I am really impressed with the VE-8.  I have been playing guitar for about 3 years now so I am not all that experienced. I was hoping maybe a more experienced player who has used the VE-8 might chime in with their experience and overall opinion.

CJ
AlanSam likes this post
Here is a really good review of the capabilities of the Boss VE-8.  The reviewer is obviously a professional musician and refused to review the pitch correction, saying "learn how to sing."  He did cover about everything else on it, and I learned a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TK4JDLE87uE&t=1464s

CJ
SasquatchLife and AlanSam like this post
Professional singer, or crafty sales spiel selling a product  with a feature that doesn't work well. Otherwise a good review and worth looking at for those in the market for this kind of thing.
sleigh likes this post
Alan
(02-25-2022, 01:03 PM)AlanSam Wrote: Professional singer, or crafty sales spiel selling a product  with a feature that doesn't work well. Otherwise a good review and worth looking at for those in the market for this kind of thing.

The pitch correction seems to work well, in my opinion.  And the reviewer did knock some features that he did review.
AlanSam likes this post
I own (and use on solo gigs) the TC Helicon Harmony Singer 2 pedal (https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/...y-singer-2). No pitch correction (but I don't care for the sound of auto-tuned voices anyway), and no odd 'voices' like radio and distortion (but I'd never use those anyway) but it does have vocal enhancement and reverb as well as up to two harmony voices: two below, one above and one below (which is what I use 95% of the time), or two above. Yes, it will follow what you play on the guitar and change the harmonies accordingly. That's most of the usable vocal stuff the VE-8 does, and the Harmony Singer 2 is a heck of a lot cheaper.

The looper on the CVE-8 is anemic (only 80 seconds), which means you can't record a whole song with a chorus and chord changes. It's fine if you just want to loop a two- or three-chord pattern, but that's about it. I use a Digitech JamMan Solo XT looper where I can record as loop as long as I want to play, in order to play stuff over the top of the recording. I do the additional stuff that the VE-8 does with guitar (and more) with a couple pedals on my pedalboard. 

I'm sure the VE-8 will do very well for CJ. There's nothing wrong with it, but I'm just saying it's not the only choice out there. It depends on how sophisticated you need your stage rig to be and what you want to do with it.
AlanSam likes this post
Best, Steve

6 string acoustics: 2018 Eastman E10D (Red Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 Eastman E6D-TC (Alpine Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 AC522CE - GB (European Spruce/Mahogany)
Electric guitar: 1964 Guild Starfire V semi-hollow electric
Acoustic Bass: Epiphone El Capitan 5 String Acoustic/Electric Fretless (Year ?)
YouTube: sleighwriter
Sleigh

I took up guitar 3 years ago as a retirement hobby.  I never really wanted to sing, but it seems that if you play guitar (by yourself), you pretty much have to sing to get the most out of it.  And prior to getting into guitar at this late stage in life, I have never sang in my life...well, not since music class in the 8th grade.

Yes, I agree on the VE-8 looper.  Pretty weak.

One of the reasons I selected the VE-8 was it has 1/4" unbalanced outputs (as well as XLR balanced) so I can run the output into my Boss RC-3 loop station (very capable) and then into the Fishman Loudbox Artist amp.  I did consider the TC Helicon Play Acoustic (a friend has one), but it only had the XLR outputs.  Also I prefer the rotary knobs on the VE-8.

When I turn off the pitch correction, my voice generally sounds ok (to me)...so I guess I have improved over time.  Still, with the pitch correction,  reverb, voice double and harmonies, my singing actually sound reasonably good (to me).  Improvements in playing and singing happen so slowly day by day that sometimes I just have to step back and observe how far I have come. 

Another thing - I was considering buying the LR Baggs Anthem pickup due to the harshness of the UST pickup (Fishman Sonitone).  The VE-8 has eliminated that harshness so I don't think I need to change the pickup.

I just play at home (and occasionally with friends), so what I have is not really critical. The VE-8 has significantly improved my enjoyment of singing while playing the guitar, and that is what it is all about.  Other products are probably as good or better.
AlanSam and sleigh like this post
CJ - maybe the best definition of 'quality' I've come across is 'fitness for Purpose'. Your solution to meeting your needs seems spot on to me.
sleigh likes this post
Alan
(02-25-2022, 02:32 PM)cjhorne Wrote: The VE-8 has significantly improved my enjoyment of singing while playing the guitar, and that is what it is all about.  

I entirely agree, CJ. If you're happy with the VE-8, that's all that matters. Period.

As I said, "There's nothing wrong with it (the VE-8), but I'm just saying it's not the only choice out there. It depends on how sophisticated you need your stage rig to be and what you want to do with it." If you don't need more, there's no reason to change! And you shouldn't.

In your original post, you said "I am wondering what others have experienced with the VE-8, and what their opinions of it are." I've no experience at all with the VE-8; I thought I just point out another one of the options out there that I'd used and how I felt it matched up against the VE-8. That's all.

OH... I forgot to mention that one thing I really liked about the VE-8 was that the looper also loops the vocals -- which my rig can't do at all. That's something I could see using. And honestly, if the VE-8 looper could record for 4 or 5 minutes instead of just 80 seconds so I could lay down an entire song, I'd be tempted to sell my pedalboard and just go with the VE-8 for the compactness.
AlanSam likes this post
Best, Steve

6 string acoustics: 2018 Eastman E10D (Red Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 Eastman E6D-TC (Alpine Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 AC522CE - GB (European Spruce/Mahogany)
Electric guitar: 1964 Guild Starfire V semi-hollow electric
Acoustic Bass: Epiphone El Capitan 5 String Acoustic/Electric Fretless (Year ?)
YouTube: sleighwriter